Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where Is My Mind?

I have a hard time with the idea of "family" in the traditional sense. I've always been there for my brother, mom, and dad, but my relationships with them have always felt like they're missing something. It should be noted that I'm an extreme idealist, and whenever I imagine something in my head it's perfect, so I'm sure that's swaying my view a fair amount. I've always had friends that I could talk to about almost anything, which I feel like I can't do with my family. Maybe I just feel like my family needs to be perfect because of my idealism? Or maybe I've been instilled an unrealistic idea of how a family is supposed to be? Whatever the case, from now on, I'm just going to take them as I see them. They all have flaws that really bother me, and at times, get me frustrated beyond belief, but I guess I'm going to do my best to let them be themselves, and love them anyways. It's hard for me to do that, I want the best for all of them, but I think if I take a backseat, and don't get so involved with their affairs, I'll be able to appreciate them more. Who knows? Maybe our relationships will be great after all of this. As of 12:00 am Sunday, Operation Family Matters is commencing. Until tomorrow...

12 comments:

  1. Yeah... I've always had troubles with Mom and Dad.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember that your parents are the only people who might ever love you unconditionally.

    ps: this wood background makes your text annoying to read and strains my eyes. I would change it to something less distracting, or change the text color

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same, I have some friends that I tell anything too but I never share with my family even though I know they would only try to help and would be there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very close to my family, share everything with them. Probably just how you're brought up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family relationships can be tough to manage at times. Sometimes it's best to just accept and love them for who they are, and not who we want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel ya man, its like that for me too. don't disown them yet. the relationship will pull through eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting read. makes me think of my family situation. i only see my family on holidays and birthdays, and i haven't talked to my sister in 3 years.

    and i'm only 20 years old

    ReplyDelete
  8. my family isn't as close as others :/ nevemind,

    ReplyDelete